We have some important news to share with everyone.
First, we would like to thank our thousands of customers for your belief in us. Over the last 10 years all our efforts were driven by one mission: to help everyone fall in love with cycling by building the most personal, reliable and remarkable city bicycles available. There are far easier paths in life than building a boutique bicycle manufacturing company in San Francisco, yet this is the route we chose. Our connection with all of you has been our touchstone throughout this journey, and we are endlessly proud to see our bicycles out on the streets of San Francisco.
The December 2019 fire in our workshop at 766 Valencia Street was truly a shock to everyone here and has had lasting effects on all tenants in our beloved building. Not only did it consume countless tools, bike parts, and our beautiful workspace, but the water and smoke damage crept into nearly every corner of our historic building.
(Above: Mission Bicycle Company's workshop in its former glory)
Nearly three months later, the structural rebuild process is still in its early stages and we are only just starting to catch up with bike builds and orders placed before the fire. The fire, combined with the changing face of retail in the Internet age, has pushed us to rethink what Mission Bicycle Company is and what it will be. It has not been an easy road leading to this decision, but in order to secure a path for the future, extensive changes are necessary.
As of 2/14/2020 Mission Bicycle Company is scaling back its operations so that we can focus on completing all current projects to the best of our abilities, and to retool our business to best position us to fulfill our mission.
The big changes:
- The retail shop at 766 Valencia Street will remain closed to the public.
- As of Friday, February 14th, 2020 we are unable to accept new orders for custom bikes, frames or products until further notice.
- We are unable to take on any repairs or services.
- All correspondence is best handled through our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
What all that means for you, our loyal and amazing customers:
- Any bikes that have already been ordered will still be built and delivered. This is our first priority. Any other orders in progress (whether for parts or services) will be seen through to completion.
- Without a service center, any Mission Bicycles must be serviced elsewhere. With 65 bike shops in San Francisco we are confident there is a great bike shop to help you out. If you have questions about your Mission Bicycle, in particular, feel free to reach out and ask, we will do our best to help guide you to a solution or to a bike shop best suited for your needs.
- The best way to reach us will be through our email email@example.com Please be patient as it may take us a little longer to get back to you, but we will reply as soon as we can.
- We know this is very sudden so in order to say a proper “Hasta luego” and to hopefully see some of you once more, in the coming weeks we will announce the details for a massive in-person “Fire Sale” at our 766 Valencia location. We will be selling our bike rental fleet, other beautiful complete Mission Bicycles, framesets, and a huge assortment of components. More info on that soon.
If you have read this far, thanks for reading, we know it’s a lot. This has been an enormous adjustment for us as well, and please bear with us while we make the transition.
While we are pressing “pause” on new orders, we want everyone to know Mission Bicycle Company is not closing its doors. Important things are happening behind the scenes and we fully intend to emerge on the other side with something awesome.
Capturing all our thoughts and emotions in one space is impossible, so we would just like to say, thank you. To the riders. The commuters. The innovators. Our friends. Our colleagues. Our customers. Our neighbors. To the Mission. To San Francisco, the best city in the world. And to anyone who believes that cycling leads to greater things. We would not be here today without all of you. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you. See you soon.
- Team Mission Bicycle Company -